How to reset Jeep Wrangler radio is a handy skill you need to learn. The good thing is it’s quite straightforward, and you’ll be done within minutes.
There are plenty of instances when it is necessary to reset Jeep radio. For instance, such is the case when it’s stuck and won’t work. You might also need to do this step if the radio display is not working or you want to restore the old or original settings.
Read on and learn more about the basic steps to help you reboot Jeep Wrangler radio when necessary.
Table of Contents
Different Ways to Reset Jeep Wrangler Radio
Whether you’re doing a uConnect hard reset procedure or soft reset, there are different ways to do so. Below is a quick rundown of the things to take note of.
1. For All Radio Systems
If you encounter radio problems in your Jeep Wrangler, one of the best ways to reset the system is to disconnect the battery. You can do this in Patriot models as well, such as the 2016 Jeep Patriot radio reset.
- Open the hood and remove the terminals from the battery. Don’t just do it with your bare hands. Instead, you’ll need a 10mm socket or wrench.
- Start by removing the negative terminal first, followed by its positive counterpart.
- Wait for at least five minutes.
- Next, return the battery terminals. This time, you have to connect them in an order reverse to how you removed them.
- Turn the ignition on.
- If the system asks for a code, input the code. In the case of a code reset, check the glove compartment or your vehicle manual to find the information.
There’s another simple way that might work as well and doesn’t require drivers to work with the battery. Try turning your car and radio on for a bit (less than a minute), then turn off the radio and long-press its power button to initiate a reset.
2. Connect Radio System
uConnect is an in-dash infotainment system that’s a common feature in many of today’s Jeep Wranglers. It’s in 2011+ Chrysler models. Hence, if you have a 2021 or 2014 Jeep Wrangler radio, it probably has uConnect.
While it’s an advanced system, it can also be prone to bugs. As such, you might find the need to reset it at times. If you want to know how to reset uConnect Jeep 2021 or any other model, here’s a quick guide on the things to do.
- Turn the ignition on.
- On your steering wheel, hold the phone and voice recognition buttons for half a minute at the same time.
- Power off the ignition.
- Once the display goes black, open the door on the driver’s side.
- Start the ignition again to complete the process.
Another method car owners can try is to press the mute and source buttons to access the Engineering menu of the radio. There should be an option for restoring factory defaults that allows drivers to complete a reset easily.
Some users also found success in touching the upper right corner of the radio screen until the brand logo appears or holding the volume and turner buttons to ‘soft reset’ the uConnect system. If you do these steps, note that the car should be in ‘run’ mode for both.
3. MyGIG Systems
Similar to uConnect, MyGIG is another infotainment available in Jeep vehicles, but those made from 2007 to around 2012. To reset it, you can follow the general steps for all Jeep radios above and proceed to the following if they don’t work.
- On your stereo, click the Radio Media button on the left.
- Press the SEEK UP and NAT buttons to finish resetting the device.
Alternatively, you can try pressing the voice and phone buttons from the beginning instead of removing your battery terminals. Hold said buttons for up to 15 seconds to reboot the radio.
Based on Radio Model
There can be slight differences in resetting the radio depending on the Jeep Wrangler model. However, for Jeep Wrangler UConnect reset, the steps are almost the same for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 models.
Full Factory Reset for a Jeep Wrangler Radio
Before doing this, take note that a full factory reset will delete the current programs on your radio. Basically, it’s like starting from scratch. So, do this only if you’re ready to not use your personalized settings and get back to the radio’s factory setting.
- Simultaneously hold the hot and cold buttons.
- A menu should appear on the screen. Choose Reset Radio and click Reset Factory Default.
Why is My Radio Not Working in My Jeep Wrangler?
There are many reasons why your Jeep Wrangler radio isn’t working, including those in the list below. Many of these can also be applicable to other vehicles, such as a Jeep Cherokee radio.
- Blown Fuse: The fuse acts as a protector for the radio. It cuts the power supply in case of any abnormalities in the circuit. Over time, it can get damaged or blown and cause the radio screen to turn black. In most cases, the best solution is a replacement.
- Defective Amplifier: One of the most important electronic devices in a car radio, the amplifier increases the radio signal’s power, voltage, and current. It can malfunction, failing to provide the necessary power for the radio to run.
- Faulty Wiring: If you’re experiencing Jeep JK no power to radio, the wiring can be the culprit. If the radio does not work, always check first how the wires look as you might need to fix or replace them.
- Problematic Head Unit: At times, it’s the main unit that can be causing the problem. This is especially the case when you see the radio display not working or the touch screen is blank. It can be because of old age or infiltration of external elements. For instance, there could be water intrusion.
- Broken Antenna or Tuner: While it may not be as common as the others on this list, this is another possibility. Damage to these components prevents your radio from receiving signals, so it may not work.
That’s how to reset Jeep Wrangler radio in easy steps. You can do it in different ways, such as by disconnecting the battery. The steps can also include pressing a series of buttons on the steering wheel or the radio face itself. When done correctly, it can help you restore the old settings that you want to get back.
Hi, I am Amaro Frank – the Wind Up Radio’s content editor and writer. Working with Adam is so much fun, as his stories and experiences enrich my knowledge about radio communications and radio accessories. My main tasks in Wind Up Radio are building content and generating great articles on different topics around radio accessories.