- 4 liters of water per person per day.
- Store the water in plastic bottles in a cool, dark place.
- On each bottle, record the date you bottled the water.
- Replace stored tap water every six months.
- If you have pets, don’t forget to store adequate water for them. (Approx. 30 ml. water per kg. of the animal’s weight, per day.)
- Keep a supply of water-purifying tablets and non-perfumed chlorine bleach in your emergency kit.
- In an emergency, water can also be made safe to drink by using water purification tablets according to directions or by adding one drop of liquid [non-perfumed] chlorine bleach per liter of water or three drops per liter of cloudy water. Stir and let sit for 30 minutes before drinking.
- Water can also be made safe to drink by boiling for 10 minutes.
- Get water for washing from the hot water tank or toilet tank.
More Info about Earthquakes
BE INFORMED, BE WARNED, BE PREPARED: BEFORE, DURING and AFTER an EARTHQUAKE