The items in this list are in addition to the supplies in your home emergency kit. Keep them in your vehicle in a separate pack (such as a tote bag) in case you are “on the road” during an earthquake. Make up a pack for each vehicle in your household.
- Booster cables, tools
- Windup flashlight
- Bottled water – at least four liters
- Canned food, can opener, dried fruit, cookies, crackers
- Outdoor clothing and a backpack
- Sleeping bag(s), “space” blanket(s)
- First aid kit
- Waterproof matches, candles
- Toilet tissue, moist towelettes, small plastic bags
- Cash, coins
- Map of the region where you live
- Pen/pencil and paper
- Address book
- Playing cards, colouring books etc. for children
Fill up your vehicle’s gas tank when it is about half full.
Gas stations are likely to be inoperable after a major earthquake.