Home emergency kit - Water
- 4 liters of water per person per
- Store the water in plastic bottles
in a cool, dark place.
- On each bottle, record the date
you bottled the water.
- Replace stored tap water every six
- If you have pets, don't forget to
store adequate water for them. (Approx. 30 ml.
water per kg. of the animal's weight, per day.)
- Keep a supply of water-purifying
tablets and non-perfumed chlorine bleach in your
- In an emergency, water can also be
made safe to drink by using water purification
tablets according to directions or by adding one
drop of liquid [non-perfumed] chlorine bleach per
liter of water or three drops per liter of cloudy
water. Stir and let sit for 30 minutes before
- Water can also be made safe to
drink by boiling for 10 minutes.
- Get water for washing from the hot
water tank or toilet tank.
Copyright: A. Makarow © 1998 - Revised
September 17, 2008